Patient Services Representative - Contact Lenses
The New England College of Optometry (NECO) Center for Eye Care, formerly known as New England Eye (and unrelated to Tufts), encompasses two comprehensive centers that provide primary and specialty eye care services to individuals at all stages of life. The two centers, located at Commonwealth Avenue in Boston (patient visits = 10,000 per year) and Washington Street in Roslindale (patient visits = 6000 per year) generate about $3M in net patient revenue annually. Optometrists, working closely with optometric students, provide Primary Eye Care, Cornea & Contact Lens, Vision Therapy, Pediatric Eye Care, Low Vision Rehabilitation, Consultative Ophthalmic Care, and Myopia Control Services to patients. Each practice also includes a retail optical center.
This full time position reports to the Optical Manager. Candidates must be self-starters who are comfortable working alone and in a team environments, and must possess a positive and professional attitude, have excellent customer service and phone skills, be comfortable with technology, be exceptionally organized and detail oriented and demonstrate strong multi-tasking, reconciliation and basic math skills. Candidates should have a general knowledge of billing and insurance referral processes, and have the patience and confidence required to resolve billing disputes.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Submits daily contact lens orders. Receives orders and verifies correct number of boxes and correct parameters based on original order. Packages contact lens supply orders and contacts patients for pick up. Where required enters claims online for specific vision plans.
- Reconciles contact lens orders and costs daily/weekly/monthly against the ledger.
- Maintains pricing tables for contact lens materials.
- Collects all returned or unused products and prepares necessary paperwork for return to manufacturer prior to end of warranty period. Reconciles return against original order and maintains written records to ensure manufacturer has appropriately applied credits.
- Tracks and documents incoming and outgoing contact lens inventory. Orders necessary inventory per optometrist directive. Prepares a monthly inventory report for management review.
- Answers contact lens related questions from patients (and via phone calls) and ensures patient is completing fitting process. Notifies patients of order status. Processes payments including patient refunds in a timely, efficient and accurate manner.
- Maintains sufficient inventory of diagnostic contact lenses, clinic supplies, equipment, and ophthalmic pharmaceuticals. Work with representatives and student employees to maintain stock and introduce new fitting sets.
- Works with the patient care coordinators to ensure proper billing and use of CPT and V-codes with necessary contact lens fitting and supply charges.
- Works with billing to ensure submission of insurance claims to appropriate vision service plans upon ordering of contact lens supplies and completion of contact lens fittings.
- Prepares contact lens, vision insurance, and patient management reports weekly and monthly and submits it to the Optical Manager for review.
- Reconciles all contact lens invoices to the patient ledger(s) on a weekly basis.
- Dispenses lenses and supplies to clinicians. Ensures the examination lanes are appropriately prepared, cleaned, and stocked for daily use by ODs.
- Hires, trains and supervises work-study students.
- Prepares and presents orientation information and materials to students.
- Performs other related duties as required including assisting as needed clinic operations such as optical, the reception desk, records room, low vision, appointment scheduling and patient billing.
- 2-5 years specific experience related to patient services in an optometric setting.
- Familiarity with contact lens materials, vendors.
- Must be computer literate with a high level of experience with MS Word and Excel.
- Highly organized and detail oriented.
- Ability to manage inventory.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Ability to navigate billing disputes in a respectful and thoughtful manner.
- Strong multi-tasking and project management skills.
- Solid basic math skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Willingness to be flexible with schedule
The College offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits. To apply, send cover letter and resume to HRDepartment@neco.edu.
The College is an Equal Opportunity employer and encourages all qualified candidates to apply.