The College’s Clinical Network includes two flagship patient care locations that provide comprehensive vision care; our mobile eye clinic that travels throughout the state providing care; clinical affiliates at community health centers, academics centers, and VA Medical Centers; pediatric school-based programs; and community partnerships which offer services for individuals with disabilities, those who are homeless and geriatrics/low vision. The NECO Clinical Network offers excellent eye care to the community as well as unparalleled clinical training for New England College of Optometry students.
New England College of Optometry (NECO) Clinical Network
Students at New England College of Optometry have access to one of the most comprehensive optometric clinical systems in the country. New England College of Optometry (NECO) Clinical Network encompasses an extensive network of affiliated community health sites throughout Greater Boston and Massachusetts.
The NECO Clinical Network includes two local comprehensive eye centers, a mobile clinic, and over 40 community health centers, VA Medical centers, hospitals, school-based programs, as well as a host of community partners serving individuals with disabilities, low vision/geriatrics, and homeless programs. The NECO Clinical Network also maintains relationships with private practices, group practices, corporate settings, and multidisciplinary clinics to provide additional opportunities for clinical training.
The NECO Clinical Network was created by design, providing diverse clinical settings to help prepare students to practice efficiently and expertly anywhere in the world when they graduate. The breadth of clinical settings provides opportunities for students to experience a wide diversity of locations, patients, eye conditions and treatments during their education.
During their first three years, students in the four-year OD program at New England College of Optometry have the opportunity to do clinical work throughout the NECO Clinical Network. Students in International and Accelerated programs work within the network during their first year. Later clinical placements occur within the NECO Clinical Network as well as extensive Externship Affiliate Program.
|COMPREHENSIVE VISION CENTERS
||New England Eye Commonwealth and New England Eye Roslindale are our two flagship owned and operated patient care locations. They provide comprehensive eye care to individuals in the Greater Boston area. New England Eye is an innovative leader in patient-centered eye care, delivering the most current approaches to treatment of eye and vision disorders.
|NECO MOBILE EYE CLINIC
||The fully equipped mobile clinic provides access to vision care by traveling throughout the state and delivering services at elder housing sites, senior centers, preschools, and schools in rural and urban communities.
||Our clinical affiliates include collaborative relationships and staffing at community health centers, academic medical centers and VA medical centers.
- Community Health Centers: Our clinical faculty and students provide service and best practice support in over 14 community health centers in the Greater Boston area including: Charles River Community Health, Codman Square Health Center, Dimock Center, Dot House, East Boston Neighborhood Health Center, Fenway Community Health Center, Greater Roslindale Medical and Dental Center, Lynn Community Health Center, Martha Eliot Health Center, North End Community Health Center, South Boston and South End Community Health centers, and Upham's Corner Health Center.
- Academic Medical Centers: Our clinical faculty and students offers services at hospital based programs such as Boston Medical Center’s Department of Ophthalmology and the Floating Hospital for Children at Tufts Medical Center.
- VA Medical Centers: NECO students train with our clinical faculty at VA hospitals to provide care to patients with a wide range of eye and vision problems such as multiple complex ocular and systemic health conditions such as diabetes, hypertension, and neurological and cardiac disease.
|PEDIATRIC SCHOOL HEALTH PROGRAMS
||Our commitment to pediatric optometry includes a school-based program in Framingham (New England Eye Framingham) and an extensive screening program for Boston Public Schools and Head Start programs throughout the Greater Boston area.
|COMMUNITY PARTNERSHIPS & OUTREACH
||New England College of Optometry is committed to providing access to high-quality, convenient, and affordable eye care throughout the community to individuals with disabilities, specific low vision and geriatric services, and care to those who are homeless.
- Individuals with Disabilities Service: Clinical faculty and students offer services and support for individuals with disabilities at New England Eye at Perkins School for the Blind, the Seamark Vision Clinic at the Cotting School, and New England Eye Southeastern Massachusetts (SEMA).
- Low Vision and Geriatric Service: New England Eye provides low vision and geriatric services to individuals throughout the Boston area. Current locations include Boston University Eye Associates in Brockton, New England Eye at MAB Worcester, the Carroll Center for the Blind, and Mobile Care Teams at Elder Service Plan of Harbor Health, Uphams Elder Service Plan, and the Boston Home.
- Homeless Service: Through a collaboration with Boston Healthcare for the Homeless program, New England Eye provides care at shelters in the Boston area.
Our External Affiliations
In addition to New England College of Optometry's vision clinics, clinical affiliates, and partners, the College maintains teaching and service affiliations with VA hospitals, US Public Health Service centers, major ophthalmic practices and other health facilities throughout the country and in Canada and China. The fourth year of the Doctor of Optometry degree program is entirely clinical and provides students the opportunity to do four full-time clinical rotation assignments at more than 50 clinical practice sites throughout New England, the United States, China, England, and Canada. Learn more about our externship program.